Modified Bitumen & Built-up Roofing
Modified Bitumen Roofing
- Modified Bitumen Roof Systems are available in two types: Styrene Butadiene Styrene (SBS) and Atactic Polypropylene (APP). While both systems sheets can be reinforced with glass or polyester, they do differ in how they are installed on the roof. SBS is typically installed with hot asphalts or cold adhesives. APP is almost always installed utilizing the torch method. RCU’s team of professionals will assess your roof and suggest the best application approach for your facility.
- Both Modified Bitumen Roof System types can be surfaced with either factory surfacing ceramic granules or with metallic laminants such as copper or stainless steel. If a capsheet is not utilized, aluminum coatings or white acrylics can be applied to enhance the systems UV and oxidation resistance.
Benefits of Modified Bitumen Roofing:
- Polymer modification to asphalts result in greater elongation and the ability to accommodate building movement
- Ability to manufacture rolls in plants, providing better quality control and quality assurance
- Versatile application options: hot asphalts, cold adhesives or hot air
- A variety of modified types and millages are available to better provide resistance against foot traffic and common rooftop abuse when needed
- Modified Bitumen Roofing warranty options are available in 25 year, 20 years, 15 years, 12 years, and 10 years.
- Built-Up Roofing (BUR) is one of the oldest low-slope roof systems that is still applied to commercial roofs today. BUR’s 120 year track record is unsurpassed in the roofing industry and continues to afford building owners dependable service.
- Built-Up Roof Systems are composed of either asphalt or coal tar pitch and are assembled on the roof top. Fibrous glass or organic rag felts are used in the installation. After the felts have been installed, a surfacing material such as slag or gravel aggregates are set into place. Surfacing materials protect the membranes and also help protect the roof from UV degradation. In addition, a smooth surface asphalt BUR System can be coated with aluminium paint or white reflective materials to further help fight against the effects of UV and cut down on cooling costs.
Benefits of Built-Up Roofing:
- Cold process offers the flexibility of application with a broom, squeegee or by a spray technique
- State-of-the-art equipment enables such items as temperature monitoring, odor reduction and application efficiencies
- Specialized metal edges, designed specifically for BUR and Modified applications may be used
Built-Up Roofing warranty options are available in 20 years, 15 years and 10 years.